• Français
  • English

A deep knowledge of the soils and subsoils in Chablis allows J.MOREAU & Fils to identify the shade and character in each terroir, to reveal all its richness and complexity with each new vintage.

Faithful to its origins and culture, the house ages all of its wines with patience: a day in the cellar is as important as one day in the vineyards. The House J. MOREAU & Fils has put its name to great Chablis wines since 1814.

BOURGOGNE CHARDONNAY
click on one of the vintages below for further information
2021   2022  

Varietal

100% Chardonnay.

Tasting notes

Pale gold in colour.
Very expressive nose reminiscent of ripe white-fleshed fruit and citrus.
Fresh and mineral, delectable on the palate with intense tangy flavours of grapefruit and passion fruit. Soft and round on the finish. Both of the terroirs truly shine through in this highly expressive wine.

Food and wine pairing

Perfect as an aperitif, or to accompany an entire meal, light starters, deli meats, white meats, crustaceans and grilled fish, fresh cheese, or to take along on a picnic

Serving suggestions

Drink ideally at a temperature situated between 12 and 14°C. (54-57°F.).

Origin

80% of the selected grapes were grown on the predominantly limestone-based gentle slopes of France’s Yonne department, best-known for production of the unique, mineral AOC Chablis. The remaining 20% come from the lower part of the slopes of southern Burgundy where softer, silky great white wines - such as the famous Pouilly-Fuissé – are produced.

Chalk and limestone marls bring out the finest expression the Chardonnay grape has to offer.

Vinification and maturing

- Rapid fermentation lasting 7 to 10 days in stainless steel tanks under controlled temperatures (18°C).
- Selected strains of yeast from these two terroirs are used.
- Malolactic fermentation is sought after for the smoothness and aromatic complexity it gives to the wine.
- Aged briefly on the lees for softness without detracting from all of the fruitiness of the Chardonnay grape

History

The Chardonnay grape variety is most likely of Burgundian origin. It is in Burgundy’s northernmost regions that it best expresses itself. It is the leading high-quality grape variety and is widely planted in all the vineyards of north-eastern France where it is also called “Beaunois” in Chablis, “Plant de Tonnerre” in the Yonne, and “Pinot Chardonnay” in the Mâconnais. It has long been considered the white form of Pinot Noir, which can be explained by the coexistence of these two high-quality varietals in the vineyards of Burgundy. Chardonnay is the only grape variety used to make the great white wines of Burgundy.