• Français
  • English

A deep knowledge of the soils and subsoils in Chablis allows J.MOREAU & Fils to identify the shade and character in each terroir, to reveal all its richness and complexity with each new vintage.

Faithful to its origins and culture, the house ages all of its wines with patience: a day in the cellar is as important as one day in the vineyards. The House J. MOREAU & Fils has put its name to great Chablis wines since 1814.

CHABLIS 1ER CRU MONTMAINS BIO
Organic Wine
click on one of the vintages below for further information
2019   2020   2021   2022  

Varietal

100% Chardonnay.

Tasting notes

Pale gold colour.
Subtle mineral and smoked nose, with hazelnut and undergrowth notes enhanced by lemon zest flavours.
This highly complex wine shows lemon tree flowers and roasted almonds aromas. The fresh and onctuous mouth offers white fruits notes and a mineral, saline finish perfectly expressing all the richness of the specific terroir.

Food and wine pairing

Will be the perfect companion to blanquette of veal, scallops or fish cooked with sweet spices.

Serving suggestions

Serve ideally at 14°C. (57°F.).

Ageing potential

5 years and more in good storage conditions.

Origin

On the left side of the Serein river, embedded between the «Bois des Lys» and «Broque de Biques» woods, the 37 hectares of the Montmains vines are cultivated at low altitude. 

This cuvée is made from grapes harvested on a plot known for its predominantly marly soil that gives powerful, concentrated wines with a nice saline note.

The vine is over 50 years old and cultivated under organic management for 25 years.

Vinification and maturing

Vinification with a minimum of inputs:
- Long pneumatic pressing,
- Static cold settling of the musts,
- 7 to 10 days of alcoholic fermentation: for 70% in stainless steel vats, at controlled temperatures (18 to 20°C.) to conserve as much fruit as possible. The other part (30%) is placed into 3-4 years old barrels.
- 100% malolactic fermentation,
- Ageing on fine lees for 10 months.

History

The most recent official Premier Cru list was established in 1986. It names 79 vineyards covering a total surface area of about 600 hectares. Chablis winegrowers decided to reclassify these plots in order to promote only 17 of them.

The vineyards in question are located on both sides of the Serein River in the communes of Chablis, Fontenay, Maligny, Chichée, La Chapelle-Vaupelteigne, Courgis, Fleys and Beines.